Patron: HRH The Prince of Wales honours the Society with his patronage and occasional exhibiting.
Vice Patron: The Chief of the Defence Staff
Our membership are skilled amateur and professional painters and sculptors. Members and Associate Members come from all ranks of the three Services, both serving, retired and the Reserves, and their spouses.
The Society was formed in 1925 as The Army Officers’ Art Society by two retired officers. At that time Royal Navy and Royal Air Force officers exhibited by invitation only. The standard was high from the beginning as the Society included professional artists whose careers had been interrupted by active service during the First World War. After remaining dormant during the Second World War, it was reformed in 1947 as the Army Art Society (see footnote) and all ranks became eligible to exhibit. The present title was adopted in 1964. Past members include such illustrious names as Field Marshal Sir Claude Auchinleck, Professor Ken Howard, David Shepherd, Sir Michael Noakes and many others. Current members include well known artists who are also members of the RP, RSMA, RBA, RI, ROI etc.
The Palette: our newsletter, is published regularly and a membership directory is produced from time to time.
The exhibitions have always taken place in central London, initially in Westminster, the Mall Galleries, for several years at the National Army Museum, then at Painters’ Hall in the City before returning to the Mall Galleries from 2001 to 2015.
Footnote: The Army Arts Society, which exists for those with purely an Army connection, is an entirely separate organisation, although there is an overlap with a number of the artists. The Army Arts Society is currently in suspension due to a lack of volunteers to run it.